Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I cooked...barbecue chicken sliders!


The crockpot has become my new best friend. I'm not ashamed. I think they were essentially invented for people like me, moms who need to do as much as they can in those short periods of free time they get throughout the day.

I had bought pulled barbecue chicken at Trader Joes before but I wanted to try making my own so I would know exactly what's in it. I looked around the internetz a bit and came up with my own version. Again, it makes good use of my staple frozen chicken breasts!

Makes enough for 4-6 sandwiches

2 frozen chicken breasts
1 onion, sliced
1/3 bottle of barbecue sauce - use your favorite but I like the Jack Daniels no 7 sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Mix the onion, barbecue sauce, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar, and use to cover the chicken that you have placed in the crockpot. The chicken should be completely covered, add more sauce if needed. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked.

Remove the chicken and shred using two forks, and return to the pot to toss in the sauce.

I served this on wheat rolls with coleslaw, but we've also had it in quesadillas, with white rice and corn, and with mashed potatoes. It's a very versatile dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment